Mobile Malware up by 614%
Mobile Malware has seen the highest growth in the hacker industry over the last year, reaching it’s peak growth this year, at 614%. Growth of 614% in a year is a shocking stastic, but when framed against last years growth of 155%, it becomes even more substantial and the mind boggles at what we’ll be looking at in 2014.
92% of all mobile attacks target Android users
Cyber criminals are constantly evolving their game. Instead of targeting all systems, they have chosen to focus on the most popular operating system: Android. With Apple sitting at 19% and Microsoft at 18%, it’s a no brainer to target the operating system that accounts for 60% of the market share, and with 92% of all detected mobile malware targeted at Android users, that’s exactly what they’re doing.
How to prevent mobile malware attacks?
Android users aren’t just leaving themselves open to hack attacks simple by being an Android user, currently only 4% are running the latest operating system. The other 96% are allowing themselves to be vulnerable simply by not upgrading.
Purchasing apps from third-party app stores also puts mobile users at risk, regardless of the operating system they’re on. The majority of malware attacks utilize SMS Trojans to access their victims. SMS Trojans trick users into sending messages to numbers owned by the cyber criminals, these types of attacks account for 48% of malware. 29% of attacks are via fake installs, to lower that risk, apps should only be purchased from Google Play or iTunes, and it’s best practice to deny access for apps to your private and personal information stored on your mobile device.
Here at BullGuard we anticipate mobile attacks to continue to increase, while also becoming significantly more sophisticated. Check out some BullGuard products that can help protect you from the cyber criminals and their mobile malware attacks. We protect most operating systems, because even though Android users are at risk the most, we’re all vulnerable.