Cyber Monday is on Monday, the 26th of November, the first day of the holiday shopping season. For those of you that couldn’t face the throngs of ferocious shoppers hitting the sales on Friday, Cyber Monday is your reward. Sit at home, with a cup of tea and your feet up, handle all of your holiday shopping and still get those great sale prices!
Cyber Monday originally started in the U.S, an extension of the sales that occurs across the country after Thanksgiving, but the trend has grown rapidly to countries such as Canada, Germany, Chile, the UK and many others. Even the Australians are getting on board with an event they’ve called “Click Frenzy”. Some online retailers have opted to begin their sales early and are hosting them for throughout the week. Take Amazon.com for example, they are hosting ‘Black Friday Week’. As more and more companies offer extended sales, Cyber Monday itself could become obsolete. Not only do companies run the risk of running low on quantities by the time Cyber Monday comes around half way through their sale, but the deals leading up to Christmas reduce the impact of Cyber Monday sales.
So, where does that leave you and your lists to Santa? Well, the good news is you don’t have to wait until Monday! Get started now, this weekend, or wait until closer to the holidays – but be warned you may face limited availability if you leave purchases to the last minute.
What else can you do to be a savvy shopper this year?
- Sign up for emails with your favorite brands and suppliers – that way you’ll be notified of coupons and sales in your inbox, instead of having to search them out.
- Keep an eye out for shipping deals. Lots of sites this year are giving you free shipping on all purchases for 30 days after your first purchase.
- Make sure you make purchases from a secure network, and avoid using your mobile to make purchases – your credit card information could be at risk.
- Install BullGuard’s Internet Security suite to prevent identity theft, and keep your personal information safe. While you’re at it, purchase it for your friends and family as well! – it makes for a great gift.
- Only shop on reputable sites, and if anything looks suspect – it probably is.
Shop smart out there. Find great gifts for your friends and family, but not at the risk of identity theft, or credit card fraud.